Sunday, March 16, 2008

Pics, Banquets, and Contracts!

Well, I had an absolutely smashing weekend! On Friday Kenny and I attended the Barrister's Ball (nicknamed the law school prom :)) and had a very nice time. The best part? Check out where it was hosted.


This, by the way, is where I intend to live someday. *cough, cough* This is the Provo Public Library at Academy Square. This is the library, folks. Can we all say awesome? Oh, yeah.:)

We had a nice time other than the unfortunate running out of both salad and vegetables before they got to our table. *rolls eyes* So we looked like rather picky eaters, but that was made up for by our excellent company; Debbie and Tyler Snow, who are both students at the law school who met during their first year. (Legal romance, isn't is sweet? I haven't dared ask if they got a pre-nup.;))


I liked this picture so much I've switched it out for my profile picture. Thank you wandering anonymous photographer.:) Oh, and despite the fact that my hubby looks a little goofy in this particular picture, he really was quite dashing in his blacks.:)

You know, there's a funny thing abut getting ready for a formal event. Here's what I did: I took a long shower and deep-conditioned my hair, I painted my finger and toe nails, I put lots of mousse in my hair and blow-dried it, put my make-up on carefully, did my hair in a half up-do, and debated the value of about six different outfits. And if I do say so myself, when I was done, I looked lovely.

You want to know what my husband did? He waited till about forty-five minutes till time to go, showered in the normal way, combed his hair in the normal way, put on one outfit, donned his dress pocketwatch, and came into the closet--where I was still trying on different outfits--and helped me choose. And he looked great too!

Totally unfair.

Ah, well, I had fun getting all dressed up. And I get to do it again this next weekend. I am attending a gala dinner for the Whitney Awards next week and will be rubbing shoulders with the likes of Shannon Hale and Jessica Day George, to name only two.:)

Saturday was a big day for me. Why?

Drumroll please . . . .

My contract arrived! And I signed it in all my post-formal-dance glory . . . meaning my fingernails were still red and I had eyeliner residue under my eyes.

So not glamorous, but I am signed now! Harper Collins cannot change their mind. They are stuck with me.:)

And, of course, the requisite picture.


Note the lovely fingernails. Oh, thank you, thank you.:)And I was so excited I even managed to put the wrong year for my birthdate . . . on ALL FOUR copies. *sigh* Why, yes, I am a professional author, why do you ask?

And just a note for new or aspiring authors, yes, it has been a full four months since my deal was struck, and yes, I have already finished the first round of revisions without having an actual contract. This is a slow-moving business . . . except when they want you to meet deadlines, of course.;) Really though, it takes a while to negotiate all the little parts of a contract so it can be months. My wait is just a touch on the long side of average.

So yeah, good couple of days. I certainly can't complain. And I will have more author-laden fabulous pictures of the gala dinner next weekend. Yay!

Ciao!

18 comments:

Ronald L. Smith said...

Must be an awesome feeling. I've read your blog for a while now and just had to say congrats!

Aprilynne Pike said...

Thank you! I love seeing lurkers come out of the woodwork!

cindy said...

you and your hub look lovely. it sounds like a great time, despite the food limitations. =) and CONGRATS on signing the contract. so excited for you--still! =)

Aprilynne Pike said...

Thanks Cyn!

leslie mae said...

Congrats to you!!! And I love the pictures too. It must have been fun to have a date like that... sigh! Sounds like you had an awesome weekend. And you definately deserve a pat on the back for the deep cleaning!! My house is due but it's still in the "later" pile!!!

Tyhitia Green said...

Nice pics! Looks like you two had a blast. Congrats on getting your contract in hand. :*)

Aprilynne Pike said...

We did have a blast! I gotta tell you though, I am looking forward to this weekend even more. Rubbing shoulders with future lawyers is one thing, rubbing shoulders with authors is another.:)

Jamie Ford said...

I love Provo. Been down there a bunch of times for Education Week. And yeah, that is the world's coolest library building. (Was a private school way back when, right?)

Congrats on the contract! That means the UPS man will be bringing you a special delivery in 3-6 weeks.

I did the same thing. I was so excited that I had my first round of edits turned around the week I signed.

Heidi the Hick said...

Wow, that really is a great weekend! I like to see the contract signing picture. It's real!

We're going to a big huge awards weekend in about two weeks. I know that getting ready routine. It amazes me that the guys are in suits and layers and the women are in little strappy dresses. It's the opposite usually- him in a t shirt, me in three sweaters. Formality is so weird!

It is a very nice picture and you did look lovely.

Tyhitia Green said...

You're right! Rubbing shoulders with authors is amazing!! Especially the ones you have idolized forever! Have fun. :*)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I discovered your blog last month and haven't yet read all your posts. First of all congrats on your book contract. I really do hope it becomes a huge bestseller. How do you find the time to do so much? With supporting your husband, earning an income, three kids, you must be a very dedicated and energetic person.

Aprilynne Pike said...

Thanks guys.

Jamie, yes, it was part of BYU. The business school if I remember correctly . . . but don't quote me on that. And yeah, the Fed Ex/UPS guy is my new best friend.:)

A, I do have three kids and a husband in school, but earning an income is deceptive. I don't do that in addition to writing, that IS my writing. So scratch one thing off your list.;) And the answer is that I have a very dedicated husband and very low maintenance kids.;)

Kenny said...

Actually this building housed BYU in its entirety, back when it was just "Brigham Young Academy." Later, it was a High School. The history is all here.

Anonymous said...

Those photographs are great. I am officially jealous of your library. Ours is great for the size of town I live in, but I do miss the library system in the city I grew up in, because they had everything. And allow me to tell you how much I LOVE that you have a photograph of yourself signing your book contract. I loveloveLOVE it. Totally and completely.

ORION said...

how FANCY!! too too fun...
and
i get to meet you in PERSON in August dont I?????

Aprilynne Pike said...

Booklady, I ish it was my library. Unfortunately, I live two small towns down and out library . . . how to put it delicately . . . sucks . . . and the librarians scare . . . on in particular. This library is GREAT thought!

And yes, of course you get to meet me in person in August, Pat! In fact, as soon as I get that special package Jaime mentioned, I'll get my application in. Hurry UPS guy! Hurry!;)

JKB said...

Congratulations, Aprilynne! Yay for you!

I do have a question. You don't have to answer it. :) How did you manage to find fantasy beta readers?

I'm fast approaching the need for some, but since I'm more of a lurker on all the boards, I don't have all that many contacts.

Do you have any suggestions?

Aprilynne Pike said...

JKB, I actually don't have any . . . no, I take that back. I did give it to a 13 year old girl who goes to my church. But before I sent AUTUMN WINGS to my agent, the only people who had read it were my husband and my family. My husband is my best beta.:)