Tuesday, November 04, 2008

It's a Good Day

I refrain from saying anything political when I blog, but I do have to say this. I am a huge fan of Martin Luther King Jr. I don't think anyone can deny that he was a man who dreamed big--especially in the political climate of the time! I especially like this part of his famous I Have a Dream speech.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

No matter what you think of Barack Obama, and whether or not you think he was the best candidate, you can be proud that you live in a nation where--as a whole--we have overcome the biases of race. That this was a man judged not by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character. Even if he was not your candidate of choice, that is something worth celebrating.

8 comments:

tomdg said...

Very well put, and thank you :) I too grew up with that speech. My grandfather was in the crowd that day, and I'm thrilled that he has lived to see this day.

Anonymous said...

SO agree! Very well said. While I am an Obama fan, I was heartened to see that whichever way the election went, we were still making history, whether with a black president or female vice president.

Twill said...

I have to agree with the sentiment, and ask that everyone pray that things go well for the man and the country. Whether or not his younger self may have shown lack of wisdom, let him grow wise beyond such things and lead us well.

Tyhitia Green said...

It is truly a historic time. Although, just because he won does not mean that all biases are gone, but it's definitely a start when the majority of us voted for a change. So, it's really a good sign. :-D

Aprilynne Pike said...

No, it certainly doesn't mean biases are gone--especially on an individual level--but when 52% of the country will vote for a black man, then we have come a long, long way as a nation.:)

Aqui Wolfe said...

*approving nod* well blogged.

Anonymous said...

Well blogged from me too

Jamie Ford said...

It was an amazing election. I also liked how gracious McCain had been on the road, correcting people when they'd shout out "He's a Muslim!" and other crap like that. He was incredibly gracious in defeat and definitely ended it on a classy note.