Saturday, November 03, 2007

NaNoWriMo

For those of you who don't know, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. NaNoWriMo.org sponsors a contest of sorts where authors try to write 50,000 words (about 220 pages) in thirty days. Last year I used this time to query agents on my already-finished book, in hopes that others would be taking a break from querying to write their books.

This year I'm a participant. Yea!!

I've decided that this is as good an excuse as any to get a good jump start on the sequel to the book my agent is *cough, cough* currently shopping *cough, cough.*

Can I just repeat (again) that starting a new book always reminds me how much I love writing? Really. There's nothing like starting a new book. A whole world full of possibilities just waiting for you to bring them to life. *Deep breath* Gotta love it! My friend Stephenie told me once that you have to really love the process of writing your first draft because it carries you through the rest of the work involved in getting your book published. I'm not published yet, but I think she's right.

So anyone else doing NaNo? The website is down right now, but I'll put the link up to my profile in the next couple of days over in my sidebar. If you are doing it too, feel free to friend me.:)

Also, my blogging may be a bit sparse over the next 27 days.;)

Ciao!

6 comments:

moonrat said...

good luck :)

ChelMo said...

Hi! I've been having tons of fun reading your blog of late. Your husband sent the URL to me recently. I'm impressed!! I'm not quite up to par on a lot of the writer-oriented references, but I do love hearing about how well your career is going, in addition to the updates on your adorable kids.

P.S. I totally remember getting letters from Kenny when the two of you were courting... match made in heaven!

P.P.S. You know Stephenie?!?! OMG! I was given Twilight and New Moon while I was on bedrest and literally couldn't put them down. I finally just picked up Eclipse, and am kicking myself for not getting around to it sooner! If you're in company with her, then you'll do just fine with your novels. I can't wait to read them some day soon!

Helen said...

Good luck! :)

David L. McAfee said...

Good Luck, Aprilynne. :)

I'm not a participant this year because I'm hip deep in my current WIP, which my agent is waiting for, so I didn't want to put it down for 30 days and work on something new.

I may jump in next year, though.

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

Hello! I stumbled across your blog via absolute write "baby stuff" thread...I too recently had a baby (4/25/07). I'd never heard of NaNoWriMo but I signed up today...we'll see how it goes. My family has been after me and after me to write my grandma's life (or at least the good parts...hehehe) so I think I may attempt a really bad first draft. :-) I enjoy your blogging.

Michelle Zink said...

I'm waiting for my revisions (any day) so I'm not participating in NaNoWrimo this year, but it sounds like a marvelous way to keep your mind off other, er, distracting things!

Good luck!