Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Look Me in the Eye Is Out Today!



My friend John Elder Robison's memoir, Look Me in the Eye, comes out today. I'm writing about it on my blog for more reasons than simply because he is my cyber-buddy (and heck, isn't that reason enough;)). I really think that this book is going to be a huge road-builder in the world of Asperger's and want so badly for people to know that this tool exists.

For those of you who are unaware of what Asperger's is, it is a high functioning form of Autism that is often--possibly even usually--non- or mis-diagnosed. John himself did not find out just what his problem was until he was an adult and it is only in looking back that he can see how helpful it would have been to know and understand himself earlier.

I haven't read the book yet (give me a few days to pick it up. Three kids, yanno.) but I have read pieces of it and listened to a teaser from the audio book and everything about it sounds wonderful. It is getting rave reviews and, unlike my own little works of fiction, should be a truly important book in our time.

If this is the first you have heard about John, fear not, you will here more about him in the future. And from far loftier sources than me.:) (Think the Today Show and People magazine, just to name two.)

Congratulations John. And really, this is a book worth buying. I know I am.:)

*By the way, you can find the link to his blog over there ------->*

Ciao!

8 comments:

moonrat said...

yay!! congratulations to him!!

and thank you for posting on thebookbook!

Zany Mom said...

I just bought the book yesterday and skimmed the opening. Looks great!

When I find a break in the action (currently at 10K words of my newest novel in progress) I'll be taking a look.

Tyhitia Green said...

Aprilynne,
I definitely know who John is and I am going to pick that book up this week! By the way, you never made it over to my blog!! :*)

Michelle Zink said...

Fantastic! Big congrats, John!

I know someone who has a child with Aspergers and it's just horrible what she's gone through even to have him diagnosed.

I'll definitely recommend this to her as well.

David L. McAfee said...

I've had it on order from Amazon for months. Literally. I bought it and Lottery at the same time.

Today I got an email from Amazon saying the shipping was going to be delayed.

Grrrrrrr.

moonrat said...

I see copies of the book everywhere! It was on the new nonfiction display at BNN. AWESOME.

ps i added your blog to the bookbook blog roll...sorry i forgot to before.

John Robison said...

It's an exciting time, for sure. Are you at all near Denver? Check my blog schedule as we may be adding more dates out there. The first three readings have been packed houses, and we'll see what happens in the midwest starting Tuesday.

Woof!

Holly Kennedy said...

You're gonna love Look Me in the Eye! It's an incredible read and John is truly a gentle giant who deserves all the success that comes his way.